DETROIT – Building off the success of the recent Silverado ZR2 launch, Chevrolet introduced the first-ever special edition Silverado ZR2 Bison in collaboration with American Expedition Vehicles (AEV), a premium off-road aftermarket manufacturer. This truck was uniquely tuned to unlock new heights in off-road capability for customers seeking overlanding adventures.
“Our most recent collaboration with AEV resulted in the much-acclaimed Colorado ZR2 Bison. We’re thrilled to team up again to bring customers Chevrolet’s next chapter of off-road dominance, this time on Silverado,” said Scott Bell, Chevrolet vice president. “The 2023 Silverado ZR2 Bison unlocks the pinnacle of the nameplate’s off-road capability.”
AEV has a strong track record for providing accessories that excel in overland expedition environments. The 2019 Colorado ZR2 Bison quickly became the most popular special edition package offered with the Colorado ZR2. Similar to the Colorado ZR2 Bison development, AEV and GM engineers and designers collaborated on the tooling and design to bring forth the Silverado ZR2 Bison with unique overlanding
“The Chevrolet Silverado ZR2 Bison is the ultimate half-ton truck for backcountry adventures,” said AEV CEO and Founder Dave Harriton. “The Silverado ZR2 Bison checks all the boxes — robust stamped steel bumpers, complete underbody protection, a factory-tuned off-road suspension, and locking differentials front and rear. We are confident off-road enthusiasts are going to love this truck.”
When compared to the 2022 Silverado ZR2, the Bison special edition is expected to feature improved stats for overlanding adventure. The front approach angle increases to an estimated 32.5 degrees (compared to 31.8 degrees). The departure angle improves to an estimated 23.4 degrees (compared to 23.3 degrees). The trucks are expected to share the same ground clearance at 11.2 inches.
This truck reaches new levels of off-road confidence also in part due to the high-quality steel integrated in the AEV bumpers and underbody protection. The AEV-stamped steel front and rear bumpers are constructed of 3-millimeter-thick steel and are powder and e-coated. The press-hardened steel used for the underbody skid plates is three-and-a half times stronger than an equivalent cold-stamped high-strength steel plate and provides incredible resistance to underbody damage.
Bolstering the truck’s resume for off-road strength, the Silverado ZR2 Bison comes standard with:
- AEV stamped steel front and rear bumpers with heavy duty recovery points and integrated step pads. The front bumper is compatible with an available winch accessory
- Five unique hot-stamped boron steel skid plates providing protection for the front, rear differential, transfer case and fuel tank
- Steel rocker panel protection
- A three-piece durable steel front bumper with integrated black, vertical front tow hooks
- Exclusive gloss black 18-inch AEV wheels paired with 33-inch Goodyear
- Wrangler Territory MT tires
Bison customers will continue to enjoy ZR2’s standard features:
- Standard 6.2L V-8 engine with 10-speed automatic transmission delivers 420 horsepower and 460lb-ft torque to power through tough terrains
- Multimatic 40-millimeter DSSV spool-valve dampers, which feature:
- Three separate spool valves to control damping
- Three connected chambers for fluid flow
- Uniquely tuned springs that, with the Multimatic dampers, increase maximum front and rear suspension travel, compared to the Silverado Trail Boss
- Front and rear e-lockers
- Specific off-road chassis and suspension calibrations, including Terrain Mode, which allows one-pedal1 rock crawling
The Silverado ZR2 Bison exclusive body-color grille bar provides contrast to the black grille design and prominently features the signature ZR2 badge on the front of the truck to the right of the iconic Chevy “flow tie.” On the rear, the bold black matte finish on the standard Multi-Flex tailgate is unique to the Bison design and allows the centered Chevrolet bowtie to stand out.
Tastefully integrated into the design, Silverado ZR2 Bison customers will enjoy discovering nods to the AEV collaboration throughout the interior and exterior of the truck, including the Bison decal on the side outer box and the AEV badge featured on the front headrests and all-weather floor liners.
The Silverado ZR2 Bison is expected to start production in early 2023 with an MRSP of $78,490 with dealer freight charge included2.
Founded in 1911 in Detroit, Chevrolet is now one of the world’s largest car brands, available in nearly 80 countries with nearly 2.7 million cars and trucks sold in 2021. Chevrolet models include electric and fuel-efficient vehicles that feature engaging performance, design that makes the heart beat, passive and active safety features and easy-to-use technology, all at a value. More information on Chevrolet models can be
found at www.chevrolet.com.
American Expedition Vehicles (AEV) has now been on the cutting edge of the 4WD industry for over 25 years, continuously pushing the boundaries of design and innovation. The goal has always been simple: provide the highest quality off-road parts and accessories available anywhere in the world, period.
# # #
1You should always use your brake pedal if you need to stop quickly.
2MSRP excludes tax, title, license, dealer fees and optional equipment.